Ladies, I don’t know about you, but summer is basically here and I’m ready for long days at the beach, sundresses, and tons of summer fun! But before I can hit the beach or run away on my next vacation I always make sure to change up my hair routine to beat the summer heat. So here are some quick tips and products in our store to keep your natural hair healthy and flourishing all summer long!
1. Being in the sun constantly will dry your hair out. A way to combat this is to deep condition every other week at the least. Deep conditioning ensures that your hair stays moisturized and hydrated throughout the summer months. You can use our the for the best results.
2. Drinking at least 8 cups of water a day is important for your hair’s health. We tend to sweat much more during the summer months, so we become dehydrated quicker. Keeping your body hydrated throughout the summer months will contribute to your hair health significantly. If your body is dehydrated your hair will be also. Drink up!
3. Putting SPF on your body is a given in the summer, but we often forget that our hair needs protection too. When you are going to be in the sun for extended periods of time, it is important to use a conditioner with SPF or cover your hair with a hat or a scarf.
4. Coat your hair before getting in the pool. Taking a dip in the water is all fun, but it is important to coat your hair with an oil or conditioner to prevent a large amount of saltwater or chlorine absorbing in your hair. Also, be sure to wash your hair thoroughly after swimming.
5. During the summer we tend to sweat more in our heads so it is important to use lighter hair products to prevent scalp buildup. Preventing scalp build up will keep you from over washing your hair and drying it out. So attempt to use lighter products in smaller amounts.
6. One way you can keep your hair moisturized throughout the summer is the L.O.C. method, which stands for liquid, oil and cream. You can use this method to lock the moisture into your wash and go’s or even twist/braid-outs. It’s another way to protect your hair from the sun’s harmful rays.
7. Co-wash your hair more often. While your hair will sweat a ton during the summer be careful not to over wash and dry it out with shampoo. Just because your hair is sweaty doesn’t necessarily mean its dirty so co-washing with a conditioner removes the sweat while still keeping hair moisturized.
8. Try a protective style! This might be my favorite tip of them all. Try a protective style this summer! Spice up your look with braids, two strand twists, sew-ins, or even wigs. Give your natural hair a break from manipulation and the sun’s heat. Just don’t forget to let your hair breathe after 4 weeks. Not allowing your hair to breathe can cause tangling, breakage, and dryness.